Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The hardest post I've ever had to write

I have a confession....



I have times when I am prideful.



I struggle with pride, and not in a good way. Not in the "I'm proud of my kids" way (although I feel that), but in a "I'm too proud to ask for help" way. Typing that stings....almost literally.



It's not that I hate help. And it's not that I have anything against people helping me.



It's just that.....it's hard for me to say.... I need help.



And especially anything that has to do with asking for monetary help.



Why? I don't know. I just like being able to say "no, it's ok. We can do it ourselves." And in most cases we can. Andy and I are fine financially. We have been working the Dave Ramsey plan, and our finances look better now than they ever have in our marriage. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for that.



But now I am swallowing my pride and asking for your help.



In March of this past year, Andy and I became members at Ewing Road Baptist Church. The first day we were there, an announcement was made about a mission trip the church is taking to Ethiopia. Immediately I felt a tug on my heart, and I knew I was meant to go. I prayed about it, talked to Andy about it, and discussed it with a couple of close friends. I already knew the answer was "go", but my friends and prayers further reiterated "go."



I sent out some support letters, and also noted on my Etsy site that all sales would be going towards the mission trip. So far from donations, Etsy sales, and a little budget tweaking I have raised $965.00. That is a huge accomplishment in such a short time, and I am sooooo thankful for those who have given in support. However, I need more help. The total for the trip is $2300.00 and also I have shots that total $230 (or $330...depending on if I take the malaria medication). To be able to go on the trip I need $1335.00 (does not include my shots) by August 15.



Now there are TWO ways you can help. If you are feeling led to give, then you can make a tax deductible donation to Ewing Road Baptist Church (You can click on the church name and go to contact for the address). It's important that in order for your gift to be tax deductible that you not write my name on the check...instead simply enclose a sticky note or a piece of paper with my name on it and "Ethiopia mission trip", and it will get to where it needs to go. It's also fine if you want to send it to me, and I will turn it in. That is completely up to you.



Well, that's one way you can help, but what is way number two??



Pray.



I totally and completely understand if you're saying "Michelle, I love you, but I can't give right now!" And I'm ok with that!! I love you too! But something that doesn't cost money that I need even more is prayer. Prayer that I and the other individuals on our team would receive the required funding. Prayer that God would make His will clear. Prayer that we would have a safe trip. Prayer that God's love....His gospel....would be shared, heard, and received. Prayer that people's lives would be changed....ours included. Prayer that God would be glorified by our work.



So whether or not you can give does not matter.....what I need most from you is prayer.



I thank you all so much for your donations and especially for your prayers. I would not be where I am today without the love of Jesus and the support of my friends and family.



One last thing! If you've ever been on a mission trip and there's a specific passage of scripture that you leaned on during that time, please pass it along! Thanks!!!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Psalm 121

Love you!

w and js mommy said...

I'm so proud of you! I guess God's calling is on us Mommies this season in our lives as I leave 3 months from today for Sri Lanka.
Zephaniah 3:17 The Message

Love you!
Praying and praying and praying