Saturday, January 12, 2008

Potty Training and Numbers?

James is now 2 and a half years old. We are to that point in his young life where potty training is upon us. Now, everyone has a different way to parent so while we encourage sitting on the potty and trying to go we are not in any way forceful or strict about it. (When I used to work with one year olds I had a mom who forced her daughter to sit on the potty...it ended with her SCREAMING EVERY TIME she sat on the potty, so we decided that was not the way we wanted to go.) Anyways, James now knows when he has to go poo, and he's in the habit of hiding whenever he has to "do his business". Well, the other day he walked past me and I caught a whiff of "his business". I said, "James, tell mommy when you have to go potty and mommy will take you." I received a sort of blank stare/ half smile as always. So, I got down on his level and said, "Can you tell mommy, 'I have to go potty?'" Another Blank Stare/ half smile.

Then I said, "James, repeat after mommy, I..."

James: "I"

Me: "Have"

James: "have"

Me: "to"

James: "three"

Me: "No, James. We're saying, 'I have to'"

James (with more enthusiasm): THREE!

It was so funny I had to go potty! Then, I just gave up. I'm sure going to the potty will happen eventually...if not, at least we've got counting down pat! :o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's awesome! Please give him a hug for me.